Setting goals for many people can be a challenge. We all have many things we want to improve and work on, however what we find is there are always challenges that stop us from crossing the finish line. Some of us hit the goal but it never seems good enough and we focus on the next goal without taking a minute to celebrate our achievements! Either way we can often fall off the goal bandwagon because it can seem like it’s never enough. This blog will address how to set goals, see them through and celebrate your success!
Selecting Your Target
When you are setting goals for yourself you need to be passionate about the goal. For example if you aren’t that psyched about losing weight, I guarantee you won’t stick with it. When you get started setting your goals start with the why. Why would achieving this matter? Would the pain of getting out of your comfort zone be worth the result? If the answer is no, then the goal isn’t for you! You have to be strongly connected to your goal. Here are some things to consider when you’re setting your goals:
- What is the benefit of hitting the target?
- Can you create mini milestones on your goal?
- Why have you selected this goal?
- What has caused you to need this goal in your life?
- Do you believe right now you can do it?
When you select goals you don’t want to over do it. If you have 20 goals the likelihood you will meet all of them is low. Instead be intentional on 3 goals in your life. The wheel of life is a great overview of areas you can focus your goal setting on:
What areas do you want to work on?
Setting Your Goals Up For Success
Once you know what you want you can create your plan on how to take each step to get there. Here are some of our top strategies for making goals stick:
- Write them down and post them where you routinely see them. Desk, bathroom, car, etc.
- Tell people. When you tell people they will ask you about them. This will help keep you on track.
- Set up your reward. When you lose 10 lbs have the money saved to buy the new jeans and go do it. This will help you stay focused on the reward and not the pain of missing out on cake!
- Plan ahead, when you start your week with your intention you will most likely plan around it and set yourself up for success.
- Have a Plan B. When things go off track what will you do? When you have that handy you will know exactly how to rebound!
- Be honest with yourself and don’t make excuses – you can do anything!
Tying Goals Into Your Agency
Setting personal goals is great – the happier and healthier you are the better you can perform for your family and clients. However, you should convert the opportunity to set goals personally to work as well. Your agency may have set goals for the year or bonuses for hitting certain targets. When you are goal planning it’s a great idea to match some of your goals to the agency’s intentions as well. We all can get too busy but being intentional on making the time and space to be proactive in hitting the agency’s goals will help your career!